[lxc-users] LXD vivid container images and systemd?

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Sun May 10 10:09:09 UTC 2015

I seem to be reasonably comfortable with old school lxc (not the LXD lxc)
root containers with scripts to automatically set them up with nginx etc
but trying to do the same thing with LXD lxc is proving to be trickier.
Aside from not being able to autostart them, the ifupdown networking system
doesn't seem to want to start and in trying to work out why I thought maybe
I am missing a fundamental point... is it still too early to expect systemd
to be fully working in a vivid container?

Another issue is that I can't seem to ssh in as root (using ssh-copy-id)
and trying to get some internal container logging I notice rsyslogd was
running and journalctl was empty so I am confused whether systemd is really
being used, and yet...

~ file /sbin/init
/sbin/init: symbolic link to `/lib/systemd/systemd'

Or, how would I go about creating and setting up my own lxc (of LXD fame)
container image so I could at least include openssh-server, nano and git
by default... docs anywhere?

And what is the simplest way to refer to lxc, the original flavor, versus
the lxc command from the LXD suite to distinguish which is which?