[lxc-users] Do you have LXD working with Ubuntu 15.04 server?

Kevin LaTona lists at studiosola.com
Sat May 9 01:10:42 UTC 2015

Whew…… Tycho Thanks……...okay now it's making some progress for me….. got it going so far.

This is what I found out over the last few days in case anyone else ends up on the same path I was trying to get LDX going.

Following these notes did not work for me https://www.stgraber.org/2015/04/21/lxd-getting-started/     so far.

Maybe I missed something along the way, but after numerous tries all I got was errors with 15.04 + LXC 0.8.1  as of earlier today

When I found these notes today  https://linuxcontainers.org/lxd/getting-started-cli/

It appeared changing over to ppa:ubuntu-lxc/lxd-git-master was what was needed to get me going again.

But as it was downloading using lxd-images import lxc ubuntu trusty amd64 --alias ubuntu

I got this traceback message

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/lxd-images", line 410, in <module>
    args.func(parser, args)
  File "/usr/bin/lxd-images", line 361, in import_lxc
    if fingerprint in lxd.images_list():
  File "/usr/bin/lxd-images", line 99, in images_list
    status, data = self.rest_call("/1.0/images")
  File "/usr/bin/lxd-images", line 70, in rest_call
    self.lxd.request(method, path, data)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.4/http/client.py", line 1088, in request
    self._send_request(method, url, body, headers)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.4/http/client.py", line 1126, in _send_request
    self.endheaders(body)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.4/http/client.py", line 1084, in endheaders
    self._send_output(message_body)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.4/http/client.py", line 922, in _send_output
    self.send(msg)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.4/http/client.py", line 857, in send
    self.connect()
  File "/usr/bin/lxd-images", line 55, in connect
    sock.connect(self.path)
ConnectionRefusedError: [Errno 111] Connection refused

I still had no idea why it did that, but it put me dead in the water trying to figure out best next step to take.

Tycho's suggestion of      service lxd start        seemed to kick start it again.

lxc launch images:ubuntu/trusty/i386 ubuntu-32

Creating container...done
Starting container...done

lxc list
+-----------+---------+------------+------+-----------+-----------+
|   NAME    |  STATE  |    IPV4    | IPV6 | EPHEMERAL | SNAPSHOTS |
+-----------+---------+------------+------+-----------+-----------+
| ubuntu-32 | RUNNING | 10.0.3.226 |      | NO        | 0         |
+-----------+---------+------------+------+-----------+-----------+

A few days ago I kept trying to grab images from the linuxcontainers.org server and was getting errors all the time.

lxc remote add images images.linuxcontainers.org
# error: remote images exists as <https://images.linuxcontainers.org:8443>

After one last attempt were I got this
ConnectionRefusedError: [Errno 111] Connection refused

I used curl to try and manually download the image,.

That server which seems like it was bandwidth challenged at the time killed the download with 4MB's to go after 10 minutes of downloading.

curl https://images.linuxcontainers.org:8443/images/ubuntu/trusty/amd64/default/20150503_03:49/lxd.tar.xz -o lxd.tar.xz
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
 93 64.6M   93 60.1M    0     0   110k      0  0:09:57  0:09:15  0:00:42 33762curl: (18) transfer closed with 4739984 bytes remaining to read

Hopefully others don't use those other document links for images unless I missed something on them.

When I found this link today https://linuxcontainers.org/lxd/getting-started-cli/  as it stands right now it seems likes a better source for a first time test install on LXD.

I wish there was only one source location for all documents on how to get going with LXD.

While it's still so early and not much else on the web yet via google to find on the topic.

But having blog notes and even notes on Ubuntu's site seems like not the best place or way to get folks going on the code if it's old and outdated calls all ready.

No better way to burn out any one is to have documents from what one assumes is one of authority and for it not to work and then have no idea how else to get it going.

Well that's might thoughts on it.

Personally LXC to me just seems like the right way to solve this problem vs all the other ideas that are now floating about.

Finally I did just located this https://github.com/lxc/lxd/blob/master/specs/command-line-user-experience.md

Which for anyone looking for the command calls list here they are.

Hopefully this is making some sense and I am happy to pass along what I found out as I first time installer on LDX as I have about 8 pages of notes from the steps I tried.

Honestly I figured maybe part of the time I might of been missing some key call some and then it choked no idea for sure right now.

 But in these Wild, West early days that's darn easy to do and soild good docs to follow when the guys are cranking on getting the code out at the same time is tough.

-Kevin