[lxc-users] How to auto-start LXC containers with LXD

Ozan Hazer ozanhazer at gmail.com
Wed May 6 08:46:54 UTC 2015

Yeah, I wish I realized that before setting up everything :\
I agree with the central configuration thing, it reduces the portability
too at first glance. However not sure if it should be considered as a
deficiency...
lxd is designed this way and instead of manually doing things (copying
etc.) it provides tools for it which attracted me in the first place. I can
do what lxd does with lxc-* commands already but lxd is much easier to use
and gives the feeling of vagrant and docker.
There is lxc copy and move and I bet (or hope?) there will be some export
or backup command in the future... The configurations are kept in sqlite
(/var/lib/lxd/lxd.db) so extracting the config should not be that hard
(hope again :) )

The problem that hit me is lxd is apparently is not mature enough and the
announcement that ubuntu made and advertised misleaded me since I'm a
developer and not following server technologies closely.

For the auto-startup issue I ended up with writing a systemd job for
startup and I guess I'll need smt. else for a clean shutdown too... I have
atlassian products (jira & stash) running inside the container and they are
not starting for some reason... Still investigating...

M.Ozan Hazer