[lxc-users] no network in vivid image? - addendum

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Tue May 5 07:16:05 UTC 2015

Longer version:

/lib/systemd/system/ifup at .service has
BindsTo=sys-subsystem-net-devices-%i.device, which doesn't work on
unprivileged container. You can do either one of these workaround:

(1) remove the dependency, by creating a mask (inside the container),
and then install the service manually

cp /lib/systemd/system/ifup at .service /etc/systemd/system/
edit /etc/systemd/system/ifup at .service, comment-out Before and BindsTo

add these lines
###
[Install]
WantedBy=network.target
###

systemctl daemon-reload
systemctl enable ifup at eth0
reboot

Note that even with this method you'd still have other problems with
systemd on unprivileged container, like the fact that
systemd-journald.service is dead. These problems doesn't happen on
privileged container.

(2) use upstart as init

apt-get install upstart-sysv

You'd then use upstart to manage system services, the same way you do
on trusty/utopic.

--
Fajar