[lxc-users] lxc-net and dnsmasq do not refresh

Björn Mittelsdorf bjoern.mittelsdorf at scheer-management.com
Mon Mar 30 16:30:37 UTC 2015

Hi everybody,

I made the mistake of restarting lxc-net while there was still a container running.
As a result changes to /etc/default/lxc-net do not come to bear when I execute

sudo service lxc-net restart

Splitting restart into stop and start did not help either.
Each time I order a restart dnsmasq gets a new PID but its parameters stay stale, i.e. IP of lxcbr0  and parameters sticks at
10.0.34.X

Ps-Output:
2576 ?        S      0:00 dnsmasq -u lxc-dnsmasq --strict-order --bind-interfaces --pid-file=/run/lxc/dnsmasq.pid --conf-file= --listen-address 10.0.34.1 --dhcp-range 10.0.34.2,10.0.34.254 --dhcp-lease-max=253 --dhcp-no-override --except-interface=lo --interface=lxcbr0 --dhcp-leasefile=/var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.lxcbr0.leases --dhcp-authoritative

This is the new config:

USE_LXC_BRIDGE="true"
LXC_BRIDGE="lxcbr0"
LXC_ADDR="10.0.35.1"
LXC_NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
LXC_NETWORK="10.0.35.0/24"
LXC_DHCP_RANGE="10.0.35.2,10.0.35.254"
LXC_DHCP_MAX="253"

I also tried to refresh dnsmasq by circumventing lxc-net restart:
sudo service dnsmasq force-reload
sudo service dnsmasq restart

But to no avail.

This bug description I found sounds quite similar but there were no hints how to escape this this state and I am not even sure if the bug description fits my situation
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lxc/+bug/1043588

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Best regards

Björn