[lxc-users] Nested containers - lxcbr0 IP allocation

Mark Clarkson mark.clarkson at smorg.co.uk
Sat Mar 28 13:34:40 UTC 2015

Hi,
Instead of doing testing of LXC in a full VM (e.g. virtualbox), I'm
doing it in a container. This allows me to run alot of heavy software on
my laptop where a full vm would struggle. This is my lxc-vm.

lxc-vm (default lxcbr0 is 10.0.3.1)

In the lxc-vm I am creating more lxc containers. My lxc-ct's.

lxc-vm
  '- lxc-ct (default lxcbr0 is 10.0.4.1)

In the lxc-ct I also install lxc since it sets up cgroups for me. In
these containers I run docker containers. This is lxc-final.

lxc-vm
  '- lxc-ct
      '- lxc-final (default lxcbr0 is 10.0.3.1)

In lxc-final the default lxcbr0 is 10.0.3.1, breaking routing back to
the host. I think lxc chose these bridge addresses, and cleverly chose a
different one for the nested container.

Instead of lxc-final reverting back to 10.0.3.1, could it choose the
next number in the third octet? So multiple levels of nesting will
always work without editing default/lxc-net, for example:

lxc-root - 10.0.3.1
'- lxc-nest1 - 10.0.4.1
    '- lxc-nest2 - 10.0.5.1
       '- lxc-nest3 - 10.0.6.1

Also, I couldn't find where lxc writes /etc/default/lxc-net. Which file
writes lxc-net?

Thanks
Mark.