[lxc-users] cgm getvalue invalid request on lxc host

Georg Schönberger gschoenberger at thomas-krenn.com
Wed Mar 25 08:31:00 UTC 2015

Hi LXC team,

somehow my cgm setup stopped working today!

I cannot make a request from the host anymore:
# lxc-cgroup -n ubuntu1 memory.usage_in_bytes
32956416
# cgm getvalue memory /lxc/ubuntu1 memory.usage_in_bytes
Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.InvalidArgs: invalid request

In the log I got
# tail /var/log/upstart/cgmanager.log
cgmanager: Invalid path /run/cgmanager/fs/none,name=systemd///user (No
such file or directory)
cgmanager:list_children_main: Could not determine the requested cgroup
cgmanager:get_pid_cgroup_main: Could not determine the requestor cgroup
cgmanager:get_pid_cgroup_main: Could not determine the requestor cgroup
cgmanager:get_value_main: target cgroup is not below r (2280)'s

The log message was introduced by the following patch:
*https://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2015/02/msg00396.html
with the following comments:
*// Get p's current cgroup in pcgpath
*// Make sure target cgroup is under proxy's
So maybe it's a permission or proxy issue?

I have also bind mounted the cgroup:
# /var/lib/lxc/ubuntu1/config
lxc.mount.auto = cgroup:mixed
Inside the container the request works fine:
# lxc-attach -n ubuntu1
root at ubuntu1:~# cgm getvalue memory /lxc/ubuntu1 memory.usage_in_bytes
method return sender=(null sender) -> dest=(null destination)
reply_serial=1
   string "33931264"

I would like to get cgm working on my LXC host again, thanks for your
support!

Setup:
# cgm apiversion
method return sender=(null sender) -> dest=(null destination)
reply_serial=1
   variant       int32 4
# uname -a
Linux trusty 3.13.0-48-generic #80-Ubuntu SMP Thu Mar 12 11:16:15 UTC
2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
# dpkg -l | grep lxc
ii  lxc                                  1.0.7-0ubuntu0.1
# cat /proc/cgroups
#subsys_namehierarchynum_cgroupsenabled
cpuset371
cpu471
cpuacct571
memory671
devices771
freezer871
blkio971
perf_event1071
hugetlb1171

THX a lot for you help,
Georg
Web: www.thomas-krenn.com | Social Media: socialmedia.thomas-krenn.com

Anschrift: Thomas-Krenn.AG | Speltenbach-Steinäcker 1 | D-94078 Freyung
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Freyung | HRB 6790

Vorstand: Dr. David Hoeflmayr (Vorsitzender), Ralf Hohmann
AR-Vorsitzender: Dipl.-Ing. MBA Willi Mannheims