[lxc-users] creating bridges inside a (macvlan) container

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Tue Mar 24 22:00:53 UTC 2015

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 3:20 AM, Chris Burroughs
<chris.burroughs at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have containers setup with macvlan [1] networking.  This generally works
> well, but it would be nice in a few edge cases to be able to create an
> additional veth bridge from inside the container.  However, this does not
> work:
>
> #  brctl addbr bridge0
> add bridge failed: Operation not permitted
>
> I believe the specific errno is ENOTSUPP  524.  I've tried granting extra
> capabilities (including SYS_ADMIN) without success.  It it possible to
> create veth bridges inside a container on top of macvlan bridges?

It works just fine on Ubuntu with an old lxc-1.0.7.

Did you perhaps NOT have the bridge module loaded yet on the host? Try
adding and removing a bridge on the host first to verify that
everything works (including loading the necessary modules), and then
retry your test on the container side.

Note that this is assuming you'd be using the bridge to create an
additional network, and NOT bridging the container's eth0 (which is a
macvlan device).

--
Fajar