[lxc-users] Ping between containers LXC

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon Mar 23 16:50:00 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2015-03-23 at 16:41 +0100, Thouraya TH wrote:
> Hello all,
>

> Please, i try to do a ping from one container (on host 1) to another
> (on host2)
>
> but i have this message.
>

> ubuntu at worker1:~$ ping 10.0.3.94
> PING 10.0.3.94 (10.0.3.94) 56(84) bytes of data.
> From 10.0.3.181 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
> From 10.0.3.181 icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable
> From 10.0.3.181 icmp_seq=3 Destination Host Unreachable

> Have you an idea please ?

A couple but you're provided way too little information.

What's the IP address of each of the hosts?

Are you using NAT networking, Bridged networking, or routed networking
on the hosts?

Just as a wild *** guess...

You've probably got both hosts in NAT mode and both hosts are using the
10.0.3.0/{24?} network.  Just because it looks like the containers on
the two hosts are on the same network, doesn't magically make them.  You
can't work from a container on one host to a container on another host
if both hosts are operating with NAT networking.  Using the same network
address on each host actually adds to the confusion and problem in that
case.

To make this work, one or both of the hosts will have to be either
Bridged (containers share the parent network of the host's interface) or
Routed (containers have a routed network with no NAT and routing is
managed through routing tables on the hosts).  If only one of the hosts
is in Bridged or Routed mode, the containers of the NATed host may ping
the containers of the other host but not vice versa.  If both are in
either Bridged or Routed mode, then they can fully ping each other.

> Thanks a lot.
>
> Best Regards.

Regards,
Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield (AI4NB) | (770) 978-7061 |  mhw at WittsEnd.com