[lxc-users] Advice for running LXC on a Debian host

Rory Campbell-Lange rory at campbell-lange.net
Fri Mar 13 13:34:22 UTC 2015

Dear LXC List

I'm looking for advice on running LXC on Debian.

I did quite a lot of work on trialling lxc about two years ago but then
left it there because of a lack of time and some troublesome issues with
Debian stable at the time.

We are considering using LXC again for a spare server to take over a
couple of small production server images where the hardware is reaching
end-of-life. Also we wish to be able to quickly setup clones/variants of
our web application stack (postgresql + php/python + apache) for testing
purposes.

The machine we have available has 6GB of RAM, a system (hw raid 1) 200G
drive and a storage drive (hw raid 5) of 1TB. The board is a TYAN
Tempest with 8 x Intel E5420 @ 2.50GHz. We have been trialling btrfs for
some years now and are happy to take the risks of running the storage
drive on btrfs.

Presently the Debian LXC wiki page at https://wiki.debian.org/LXC states
"LXC may not provide sufficient isolation at this time".

I would be grateful for comments about whether a version of Debian is
suitable for these intended uses, what Debian distro version is
recommended (if any), what kernel version to run and recommendations
about using btrfs.

Thanks, and apologies for the open-ended questions.

Rory

--
Rory Campbell-Lange
rory at campbell-lange.net