[lxc-users] Warning message when creating a container inside an Ubuntu Guest VM

Gros Lalo gros.lalo at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 14:58:44 UTC 2015

Hi,

This is the setup, I am running Virtual Box and installed Ubuntu Server
14.10. I am then trying to create an LXC container (-t ubuntu) on that VM.
The creation process appears to have succeeded except for the cryptic
message:

    initctl: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket
/com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused
    invoke-rc.d: policy-rc.d denied execution of start.

In fact, I am able to start the container and it appears to work (as i can
log in and run some commands). But, I am wondering what the message was
about and I would like to get some information about it.

Of course i browsed the Internet for some explanation and saw bits and
pieces information regarding chroots and most information tell get rid of
that problem. Sadly, no explanation as to what is happening here. I also
tried to make lxc-create spit out some debug information (--logpriority
DEBUG) but, there was only 3 lines and not much info:

    lxc-create 1425997939.900 WARN     lxc_log - log.c:lxc_log_init:316 -
lxc_log_init called with log already initialized
    lxc-create 1425997945.188 WARN     lxc_confile -
confile.c:config_pivotdir:1685 - lxc.pivotdir is ignored.  It will soon
become an error.
    lxc-create 1425997945.189 INFO     lxc_create_ui -
lxc_create.c:main:284 - container Buntu created

In fact based on the message it would appear that it is trying to "use"
upstart (at least trying to connect to it) and then when i checked the
/var/log/syslog on the VM (i.e. host to the LXC container), i notice that
systemd is being employed:

    Mar 10 16:27:27 Ubuntu-VM systemd[807]: Starting Default.
    Mar 10 16:27:27 Ubuntu-VM systemd[807]: Reached target Default.
    Mar 10 16:27:27 Ubuntu-VM systemd[807]: Startup finished in 32ms.
    Mar 10 16:27:27 Ubuntu-VM systemd[1]: Started User Manager for 1000.

Could that be the issue here: "something" is trying to use upstart but,
host is using "systemd"? Would someone have an idea and also know is the
"something" is it lxc-create? More importantly, any kind of advice on how
to perform some detective work on this type of issue would be most welcome.
It will certainly help me understand things better.

Thanks in advance and hear from you