[lxc-users] Issue building Kali inside container

Seªnn Giƒƒin seann.giffin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 17:23:21 UTC 2015

​Running LXC on Ubuntu 14.04.1 x64. ​I'm trying to build a container for
Kali that will be used to build a non-PAE .ISO which will in turn be used
on a live machine.

I have attempted to use the template solution provided at
https://github.com/lxc/lxc/issues/140 by copying the existing template for
Wheezy, and adding the noted lines.

While it builds a Wheezy container with the Kali repos included, I can't
get the .ISO to build inside the container:

    Need to get 3457 MB of archives.
    After this operation, 8304 MB of additional disk space will be used.
    Get:1 http://archive.kali.org/kali/ kali/main bash-completion all
1:2.0-1 [193 kB]
    Get:2464 http://archive.kali.org/kali/ kali/non-free zd1211-firmware
all 2.21.0.0-1 [16.5 kB]
    Fetched 3457 MB in 6min 48s (8454 kB/s)
    Extracting templates from packages: 100%
    Preconfiguring packages ...
    Selecting previously unselected package bash-completion.
    (Reading database ... 9329 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking libaspell15 (from .../libaspell15_0.60.7~20110707-1_i386.deb)
    Selecting previously unselected package dictionaries-common.
    Unpacking dictionaries-common (from
.../dictionaries-common_1.12.11_all.deb) ...
    Adding 'diversion of /usr/share/dict/words to
/usr/share/dict/words.pre-dictionaries-common by dictionaries-common'
    dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:
     failed to fstat previous diversions file: No such file or directory
    P: Begin unmounting filesystems...
    P: Saving caches...
    E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to
correct the problem.

So I tried a Kali-specific template from
https://github.com/dulin/lxc-kali/blob/master/lxc-kali but that fails to
even create the template:

    root at black-beast:~# lxc-create -n kali-testing -t kali
    getopt: unrecognized option '--rootfs=/var/lib/lxc/kali-testing/rootfs'
    lxc-kali -h|--help -p|--path=<path> --clean
    lxc_container: lxccontainer.c: create_run_template: 1125 container
creation template for kali-testing failed
    lxc_container: lxc_create.c: main: 271 Error creating container
kali-testing

​Here's what I know:
    1. The modified Wheezy container only has problems build a Kali image.
Otherwise, it seems fine.
    2. Obviously, the template from Dulin is severely flawed (at least on
Ubuntu)​, and I doubt that can be easily fixed.

What I don't know:
    1. Is it a problem only inside a container?
​    2. Is it a problem only in my container?​
    3. When building inside a container, are extra or special steps
required?

I've tried getting help on the Kali forums and from the container author,
but nobody seems able or willing to help. Is there something about LXC that
would prevent me from building the custom image? I followed the
instructions on
http://docs.kali.org/downloading/live-build-a-custom-kali-iso to the
letter, but it's just not working and I'm reaching out to you guys as a
last-ditch effort to get help hoping somebody has some ideas.

My original post in the Kali forums is located at
https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?24557-Problem-building-Kali-in-LXC-conatiner-for-non-pae-on-Ubuntu-14-04-1-x64
if anybody wants t​​he ​additional details included there​.

"Yo, yo. I'm real happy for ya, and I'm glad you can read, but first, I
wanna say that Seann has the best email signatures of all time. OF ALL
TIME!" -- Kanye West, 2009 Email Signature Awards