[lxc-users] Allow quotas settings in container.

Devon B. devon.b at virtualcomplete.com
Mon Mar 2 21:00:05 UTC 2015

I couldn't figure out how to allow user/group quotas inside the
container and I couldn't find many resources other than failed attempts
or unresolved reports.

I received the same error as you and tried making a fake device using
mknod to no avail.   The problem is that the rootfs (/) is always only
mounted as (rw).  So then it tries to fall back to the other / in
/proc/mounts which is the block device which isn't available in the
container (for good reason probably).

I think the only possible way I had seen that quotas had worked was
using a bind mount from the container to a host mount with usrquota
enabled.  However, in my case, this did not seem appealing because I
would have to maintain two filesystems for each container (rootfs and
the usrquota) and from what I remember, the users/groups had to coexist
on the host and the container so it would only be viable on one container.