[lxc-users] Best backing store for 500 containers

Ingvar Bogdahn ingvar.bogdahn at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 30 13:47:28 UTC 2015

Hi Fajar,

I believe the link you posted refers to the older implementations of lvm
snapshots which has serious performance degradation. There is a newer
implementation based on thin-provisiong device-mapper which seems quite
promising, which is also blocked based afaik.
It doesn't test I/O performance but anyway interesting read (concerns
docker):
http://developerblog.redhat.com/2014/09/30/overview-storage-scalability-docker/

One problem I have with them is that there are not directly usable with
unprivileged containers. LVM operations need to be done by root or
setcaps has to be changed.

ingvar