[lxc-users] Highlights about veth interfaces and namespaces in LXC

azoth at vmail.me azoth at vmail.me
Fri Jun 26 11:56:27 UTC 2015

Hello,

we are two students currently working on LXC and more precisely on the
networking
aspect. At this moment we are trying to understand how the virtual
interfaces
work, how they are created and removed.

For now, we are focused on the part where the two veth interfaces are
linked
after their creation.

We know that there are two virtual interfaces which are created on the
host in a
first time (for example VETHOMB0MG and VETHONT4F7). One remains on the
host and
the other moves to a namespace (and is renamed to fit containers
interface name
like eth0 ?). But we cannot get which function in the code is
responsible for the
link once one of them is in the container.

Does someone have an idea and could highlight us on it ?

We work on the LXC git version. The container is a Debian (Jessie).

We are not sure if this post belongs to lxc-users or lxc-devel. Do not
hesitate to
advertise us if we are wrong.

Thank you for your reply.