[lxc-users] "overlayfs: missing upperdir or lowerdir or workdir." Can it be ignored?

Ingvar Bogdahn ingvar.bogdahn at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 24 11:39:43 UTC 2015

Hi again,

I'm having another problem with overlayfs and unprivileged lxc
containers. When cloning with overlayfs, I get
"overlayfs: missing upperdir or lowerdir or workdir"
but cloning appears to succeed.

I was using ubuntu 14.04 as host OS. Since overlayfs got kernel support
in 3.19 kernels, I updated the kernel to 3.19 using the packages
linux-headers-generic-lts-vivid  & linux-image-generic-lts-vivid. I then
recreated a new mother container, without adding a user to it. I cloned
it again using lxc-clone -o mother2 -n overlay2 -B overlayfs -s  and got
again the error:

[130.841743] overlayfs: missing upperdir or lowerdir or workdir
Created container XY as snapshot of X

Although it starts the clone despite that error, I still keep getting
"failed to whiteout" and "Operation not permitted" when doing lengthy
installations, see previous thread.

Here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lxc/+bug/1409425
they report the same problem with lxc-start-ephemeral, and claim it to
be fixed with current version. After upgrading to lxc version to 1.1
using the ppa:ubuntu-lxc/daily, I still get
"overlayfs: missing upperdir or lowerdir or workdir"

However, fortunately after the update to lxc 1.1, non-trivial
installations succeed !! I tried by installing wordpress and > 150MB of
dependencies, which repeatedly failed before.

So, my remaining question is: can the error message be simply ignored?
"overlayfs: missing upperdir or lowerdir or workdir."

Thanks for clarification,

Ingvar