[lxc-users] overlayfs: "failed to whiteout" and "Operation not permitted"

Ingvar Bogdahn ingvar.bogdahn at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 24 10:49:35 UTC 2015

Hi,

i'm running into problems with clones using overlayfs. I'm working with
unprivileged containers only under ubuntu 14.04 trusty, with lxc version
1.0.7.
The mother container is an ubuntu, trusty, amd64, directory-based
container (I tried ext4 and xfs as root filesystems) and the clone was
done with the -B overlayfs -s option.

When starting the overlayfs clone I get several "failed to whiteout"
errors:
[949.378978] overlayfs: ERROR - failed to whiteout 'kmsg'
[949.378978] overlayfs: ERROR - failed to whiteout 'boot-log'
[949.378978] overlayfs: ERROR - failed to whiteout 'log'
[949.378978] overlayfs: ERROR - failed to whiteout 'dmesg.1.gz'
[949.378978] overlayfs: ERROR - failed to whiteout 'dmesg.0'
[949.378978] overlayfs: ERROR - failed to whiteout 'dmesg.0'

yes that last one is printed twice (numbers are not accurate).

despite these errors, the container is actually started.

However, when I want to install something nontrivial with substantial
dependencies in the overlay container, for example wordpress or even
something smaller like midnight commander, the installation fails due to
"Operation not permitted":

in case of mc:
"....
Unpacking unzip ....
Processing triggers for mime-support...
dpkg: error: error removing old backup file
'/var/lib/dpkg/available-old': Operation not permitted
E: Sub-process /user/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)"

when I try to rerun, I'm asked to run dpkg --configure -a, which returns:
[949.378978] overlayfs: ERROR - failed to whiteout 'status-old'
dkpg: error: error removing old backup file
'/var/lib/dpkg/available-old': Operation not permitted

Trying to manually delete that file give the same error.

If I delete the failed when logged in the mother container, then the
overlay container works again (but fails later for similar reasons).

thanks for any hints!