[lxc-users] Running docker inside unprivileged LXC containers

Akshay Karle akshay.a.karle at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 19:10:33 UTC 2015

Hi,

After the comments here, I had a look closer look at the docker code. The
problem was that it would always try to create some default devices
<https://github.com/docker/libcontainer/blob/master/configs/device_defaults.go>
without
it checking if it had the permissions to do so. For now, I've created a
fork of docker and added a fix to create the devices only if the devices
cgroup is present
<https://github.com/akshaykarle/docker/commit/0299d2c2084d7f42e7c2c433fca7f5ab3066d2be>.
This seems to work and I'm now able to run docker inside unprivileged LXC
containers.

But I don't know if just checking for the devices cgroup mountpoint is the
right fix. I feel the right way would be to create only those devices that
are allowed by lxc.cgroup.devices.allow, but I don't know how I can check
the devices enabled in the unprivileged lxc container itself. Any way to do
so?