[lxc-users] lxc - DSL pppoe into container - Possible?

Jonathan Grégoire jonathan763 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 02:09:56 UTC 2015

Hi all,

My home router/firewall (ubuntu + iptables) is currently running in KVM and
I would like to run it into a container to reduce the ressource
footprint.... but I'm having a problem to make my DSL PPPoE working...

The containrt is unable to use the kernel modules loaded into the host.

My firewall container when trying to bring up the PPPoE:

root at myfirewall:~# pon dsl-provider
Plugin rp-pppoe.so loaded.
Couldn't open the /dev/ppp device: Operation not permitted
modprobe: ERROR: ../libkmod/libkmod.c:556 kmod_search_moddep() could not
open moddep file '/lib/modules/3.13.0-53-generic/modules.dep.bin'
Linux kernel does not support PPPoE -- are you running 2.4.x?

root at myfirewall:~# lsmod | grep ppp
pppoe                  17873  0
pppox                  13342  1 pppoe

Kernel modules are loaded into the host (my host is running Ubuntu 14.04.2
LTS)

jonathan at vmhost01:~$ sudo lsmod | grep ppp
pppoe                  17873  0
pppox                  13342  1 pppoe

I thought that a container would be able to use the kernel modules that are
loaded into the host. I probably miss something....

Thanks!