[lxc-users] container complains about "too many levels of symbolic links"

André Janowicz andre.janowicz at uni-due.de
Tue Jul 21 11:20:25 UTC 2015

Hello,

does anybody know why my containers complain once per "lxc.mount.entry"
about  "too many levels of symbolic links"  and refuse to start, but
then run fine on the  #mountpoints + 1st  attempt?
I asked this exact question two weeks ago at stackoverflow in more
detail but got no answers.  Here's my post:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/31266838/why-does-lxc-fail-to-start-because-of-too-many-levels-of-symbolic-links-but-do

I'm running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS with LXC 1.07 and I'd like to access
directories from within my lxc-container (ubuntu template) which are NFS
mounts managed by autofs on the host.

Lets say the host has 3 different NFS-shares mounted by autofs:

auto.vol:

|/vol/server1 -fstype=nfs IPserver1:/vol/server1
/vol/server2 -fstype=nfs IPserver2:/vol/server2
/vol/server3 -fstype=nfs IPserver3:/vol/server3

Now I try to access these from within my container, config looks like this:

|lxc.mount.entry = /vol/server1     vol/server1 none bind 0 0
lxc.mount.entry = /vol/server2     vol/server2 none bind 0 0
lxc.mount.entry = /vol/server3     vol/server3 none bind 0 0

Now the problem is this does only work the second or third time I start
the container, most of the time LXC complains about 'Too many levels of
symbolic links' and quits. This is the output:

|lxc-start: conf.c: mount_entry: 2049 Too many levels of symbolic links - failed to mount '/vol/server1' on '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/lxc/vol/server1'
lxc-start: conf.c: lxc_setup: 4163 failed to setup the mount entries for 'vm.local'
lxc-start: start.c: do_start: 688 failed to setup the container
lxc-start: sync.c: __sync_wait: 51 invalid sequence number 1. expected 2

The second time I start the container it complains about /vol/server2
and so on until it finally works as expected.

what is the problem and why does it work as I start it more often?

Thanks in advance,

André