[lxc-users] Ephemeral containers on Arch Linux

Daniel Ellison daniel at syrinx.net
Wed Jan 28 13:29:54 UTC 2015

Hi all,

This is my first post to the lxc-users list. I did search the archives
for an answer to my question but didn't find any reference to this issue.

I'm running Arch Linux with kernel 3.18.4. I've modprobed the "overlay"
module:

$ lsmod | grep overlay
overlay                36114  0

This setup works perfectly for regular containers; I have several
running with various OS installations. But when I try to create an
ephemeral container:

sudo lxc-start-ephemeral -o keystone-base -n keystone

I get: "The container 'keystone' failed to start". No other error
messages. Specifying "-U overlayfs" doesn't help either. How do I find
out what's going wrong? There's no /var/log/lxc/keystone-base.log. I
purposely omitted the -d flag so I could see any startup messages but it
gives only the error message above. Starting the keystone-base container
normally works fine:

NAME           STATE    IPV4         IPV6  AUTOSTART
keystone-base  RUNNING  10.0.62.105  -     NO

Any ideas? The only discrepancy I can see is that the module on Arch is
called "overlay" but lxc-start-ephemeral only accepts "overlayfs" or
"aufs" as union-type. Maybe few people run LXC on Arch so this hasn't
come up before now?

Thanks,
Dan