[lxc-users] loop device missing (needed for 'cryptmount')

U.Mutlu for-gmane at mutluit.com
Tue Jan 27 11:36:55 UTC 2015

Hi,
I've a problem with missing loop devices (dev/loop*).
The 'cryptmount' tool says that it needs such a loop device.

Using lxc-create I had created a debian (v7) vm. Host is also a debian (v8).
On host the /dev/loop devices are present, but in container there is none.
brw-rw---- 1 root disk  7,   0 Jan 27 02:38 /dev/loop0
brw-rw---- 1 root disk  7,   1 Jan 27 02:38 /dev/loop1
brw-rw---- 1 root disk  7,   2 Jan 27 02:38 /dev/loop2
brw-rw---- 1 root disk  7,   3 Jan 27 02:38 /dev/loop3
brw-rw---- 1 root disk  7,   4 Jan 27 02:38 /dev/loop4
brw-rw---- 1 root disk  7,   5 Jan 27 02:38 /dev/loop5
brw-rw---- 1 root disk  7,   6 Jan 27 02:38 /dev/loop6
brw-rw---- 1 root disk  7,   7 Jan 27 02:38 /dev/loop7
crw-rw---- 1 root disk 10, 237 Jan 27 02:38 /dev/loop-control

In /usr/share/lxc/config/debian.common.conf it says:

## To use loop devices, copy the following line to the container's
## configuration file (uncommented).
#lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = b 7:* rwm

So, I added the following to the lxc config file
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = b 7:* rwm

After restarting the container the /dev/loop* are still missing.
How can I get the /dev/loop* created?

Thx
Uenal