[lxc-users] Unprivileged Container and bind-mounting /dev/...

Dirk Geschke dirk at lug-erding.de
Fri Jan 23 12:41:42 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I'm just curious about how the bind mounts in a container work.

There are entries in lxc configuration like

  lxc.mount.entry = /dev/random dev/random none bind,create=file 0 0

I can see that they get bind mounted in the unprivileged container
and the inode shows, it's the same device as on the host.

But how is this done? Normally only root can do this, but this is
an uprivileged container started by a normal user. So somehow I'm
missing the link: How is the remount done?

Has anyone a hint for me?

Best regards

Dirk