[lxc-users] CentOS container on RHEL host

Donald Stahl don at blacksun.org
Mon Jan 19 02:13:41 UTC 2015

I've never had a problem creating or running containers that match the host
OS- but now I need to create a CentOS container on a RHEL host and it's not
working the way I thought it would. Either I'm doing something wrong- or I
don't understand how LXC actually works.

I'm executing the following command:

lxc-create -t centos -n <hostname>

I would expect this command to create a container with a CentOS userland -

i.e. cat /etc/redhat-release would result in "CentOS release 6.6 (Final)"
as the output.

Or if I specified -- --release 5 (assuming they're compatible) then I would
expect to find a 5.11 userland.

However in every case I always end up with a RHEL 6.6 container (the same
as the host OS).

As I said- I'm obviously doing something wrong- or I have misunderstood LXC
templates.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

Running LXC version 1.0.7 from the EPEL repository on RHEL 6.6.

Thanks,
-Don