[lxc-users] Status of LXC on Ubuntu

Mark Clarkson mark.clarkson at smorg.co.uk
Thu Feb 26 22:23:51 UTC 2015

>>/   Ubuntu Utopic 14.10 - comes with LXC 1.1 - Doesn't work
/>
>Where did you find that?

An out-of-the box install using vagrant.

>>/   Ubuntu Vivid - 15.04 - comes with LXC 1.1 - Works
/>>/
/>>/  From information gathered from the Web it seems that the Utopic systemd
/>
>which "web", exactly?

I can't find it in my history... or anywhere! I'm confused about that.

> Not sure about the bundled version, but at least the one from
>https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-lxc/+archive/ubuntu/daily  <https://launchpad.net/%7Eubuntu-lxc/+archive/ubuntu/daily>  works fine

Thanks for showing the output, good to know it does work on Utopic.

Just to make sure, you were running systemd (not upstart) on the Utopic
Host?

>>/
/>>/  I would prefer to use Trusty for LTS but systemd is too old for the
/>>/  other software I need on the host so Utopic would be the next best
/>
> which "software" is that? Trusty is still the recommended version
> (http://www.ubuntu.com/download/server)

I need to run Fleet and etcd. I'm hoping to use them for simple clusters
where I can run both docker (for single process containers) and LXC (for
full unprivileged OS containers with config mgmt etc.) Fleet makes use of
some features only available in later systemd versions ('systemctl cat'
for instance).

I'm hoping to be able to be able to run docker/lxc on the same machines,
but if not I can separate them.

I don't think Trusty supports systemd at all so Utopic is my minimum
version. I'm only choosing Ubuntu for the host because LXC and docker
like it so much :-J

>/  thing. Ubuntu Vivid works but I'm a little worried about using it in
/>/  production.
/
> The snippet pasted above (utopic) is from my laptop, which also runs
> lxc-1.1 just fine, but I wouldn't recommend it for production servers.

Thanks for all the information, and proof. Very useful.

The servers will just have systemd, fleet, etcd, puppet/salt clients,
docker and LXC + minimal base system. Like you say the containers will
do all the work. This is for a production build environment but will
also host production repositories, and later host production services
using docker (with lots of support from LXC).

To me, nothing in the container world feels really 'stable', not the
way OpenVZ is anyway. The 'servers' are probably going to be cloud
VMs anyway and Utopic uses stable 3.16 kernel I think so I guess the
main thing is how well LXC and docker play with 3.16 kernel.

I mainly want to use unprivileged LXC containers, and the download
images from linuxcontainers.org. Possibly live migration, but that's
a nice-to-have.

Would you recommend I stick to LXC 1.0 for production servers?
Is it easy to install LXC 1.0 on Utopic?