[lxc-users] Status of LXC on Ubuntu

Mark Clarkson mark.clarkson at smorg.co.uk
Wed Feb 25 09:56:54 UTC 2015

Hi,
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but please point me in
the right direction if not.

I've done some quick tests with Ubuntu hosts in Virtual Box and have
found the status of LXC in the hosts as follows:

 Ubuntu Trusty 14.04 - comes with LXC 1.0 - Works
 Ubuntu Utopic 14.10 - comes with LXC 1.1 - Doesn't work
 Ubuntu Vivid - 15.04 - comes with LXC 1.1 - Works

>From information gathered from the Web it seems that the Utopic systemd
is too old to support LXC 1.1.

I would prefer to use Trusty for LTS but systemd is too old for the
other software I need on the host so Utopic would be the next best
thing. Ubuntu Vivid works but I'm a little worried about using it in
production.

So, is LXC in Utopic supposed to work out-of-the-box the way the others
do? Have I missed something [hopefully] simple?

With Utopic I get

# lxc-create -t download -n priv1 -- -d ubuntu -r trusty -a amd64
Setting up the GPG keyring
Downloading the image index
Downloading the rootfs
Downloading the metadata
The image cache is now ready
Unpacking the rootfs

---
You just created an Ubuntu container (release=trusty, arch=amd64,
variant=default)

To enable sshd, run: apt-get install openssh-server

For security reason, container images ship without user accounts
and without a root password.

Use lxc-attach or chroot directly into the rootfs to set a root password
or create user accounts.

# lxc-start -F -n priv1
lxc-start: conf.c: remount_all_slave: 3884 Permission denied - Failed to
make / rslave
lxc-start: conf.c: remount_all_slave: 3885 Continuing...
... ... lots more of Permission denied ... ...

Then a bunch of mounts are left:

proc on /var/lib/lxc/priv1/rootfs/proc type proc
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
sysfs on /var/lib/lxc/priv1/rootfs/sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
fusectl on /var/lib/lxc/priv1/rootfs/sys/fs/fuse/connections type
fusectl (rw,relatime)
debugfs on /var/lib/lxc/priv1/rootfs/sys/kernel/debug type debugfs
(rw,relatime)
securityfs on /var/lib/lxc/priv1/rootfs/sys/kernel/security type
securityfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
pstore on /var/lib/lxc/priv1/rootfs/sys/fs/pstore type pstore
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
devpts on /var/lib/lxc/priv1/rootfs/dev/lxc/console type devpts
(rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
devpts on /var/lib/lxc/priv1/rootfs/dev/lxc/tty1 type devpts
(rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
devpts on /var/lib/lxc/priv1/rootfs/dev/lxc/tty2 type devpts
(rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
devpts on /var/lib/lxc/priv1/rootfs/dev/lxc/tty3 type devpts
(rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
devpts on /var/lib/lxc/priv1/rootfs/dev/lxc/tty4 type devpts
(rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)

Thanks!
Mark