[lxc-users] setproctitle error doing an lxc-start

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Wed Dec 2 23:01:59 UTC 2015

On Wed, Dec 02, 2015 at 02:56:51PM -0800, Peter Steele wrote:
> From the searches I've done this seems to be a known issue but I'm
> not clear what the solution is. I'm using LXC 1.1.5 under CentOS 7.1
> and created a container using
>
> # lxc-create -t centos -n test1
>
> This completed without issues. I followed this up with a start command:
>
> # lxc-start -n test1
> lxc-start: utils.c: setproctitle: 1461 Invalid argument - setting
> cmdline failed
> lxc-start: lxc_start.c: main: 344 The container failed to start.
> lxc-start: lxc_start.c: main: 346 To get more details, run the
> container in foreground mode.
> lxc-start: lxc_start.c: main: 348 Additional information can be
> obtained by setting the --logfile and --logpriority options.
>
> I had earlier been using LXC 1.0.7 and did not get this error when I
> ran lxc-start. Do I need to role back or is there a workaround?
>
> Peter

The setproctitle error can be ignored, we've silenced it later. It
doesn't actually affect container startup at all, so your failure is
coming from something else.

Please follow the recommendations in the error message and re-run your
lxc-start with the -F flag to get the actual error message.

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer