[lxc-users] Procdeure for to move a container from host1 to host2

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com
Mon Aug 31 13:47:53 UTC 2015

Quoting Pablo Silva (psilvao at gmail.com):
> Dear colleagues:
>
>      I need to know how to move a container that is on host1 host2 towards.
>
>      I can use lxc-clone or just rsync is from host1 to host2 ?, what
> happens to the information generated in / cgrups?

Wait, do you want to copy a running container?  The /cgroup info is not
persistent, so if the container is shutdown then it's irrelevant.  If
the container is running, then criu takes care of checkpointing and
restarting that info.

So for a non-running container 'rsync --numeric-ids' should be fine.
Otherwise you probably want to be using lxd.  ('lxc move' will work
there for either case)

-serge