[lxc-users] Communication btw container & host

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Wed Aug 19 03:47:52 UTC 2015

Short version: you might be thinking about docker.

Long version:

Think of lxc as lightweight virtual machines. You'd define any "dependency"
the same way you do on clusters of real servers: basically there isn't any,
admins must take care of starting VMs in order and making sure the needed
services are ready before the next one is started, or write their own
scripts to handle the dependency. Each container would communicate with
other containers using network, the same way it would on real servers.

If all you need is a simple "VM A must be started before VM B without the
need to check wheter the services are already running (i.e. whatever is in
B is smart enough to wait until services in A are ready)", then lxc has
autstart grouping and ordering. Run "man lxc.container.conf", look for
"AUTOSTART"

Docker, on the other hand, is different from lxc. It uses the same linux
kernel capabilities as lxc, but has different user space and configuration.
Some of the differences:
- docker treats each container as an "application" instead of a full VM (so
for example, typically you won't be able to "ssh" into a docker container)
- docker supports dependencies between containers, either by checking a
process, tcp port, or a custom script

If you think docker is more suitable for your needs, head over to their
website/user mailing list and ask for more info there.

--
Fajar