[lxc-users] 64-bit lxc container on 32-bit machine

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Fri Aug 14 05:51:14 UTC 2015

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 12:41 PM, Ganesh K <kgan4dev at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just recently started using lxc containers. Right now, I am using Ubuntu
> 32-bit machine for understanding lxc containers.
>
> I just want to know, how to run 64-bit ubuntu lxc container on 32-bit ubuntu
> host machine.

Short version: don't bother. Use 64-bit host.

Long version: I haven't tested this, but at the very least you'd need
a 64-bit kernel (since host and container share the same kernel).
While using 64-bit kernel on 32-bit userland as host is possible, it
requires somewhat complicated effort (possibly include compiling your
own kernel, or setup an alternate root environment) , and AFAIK is not
a supported configuration on any x86/amd64 linux distro.

There might be other requirements as well. Again, I haven't tested
this, and I don't think there's a real use case for this. If your
machine is an atom netbook (usually with 2GB ram) that comes with
32bit windows and 32bit efi (like the popular asus t100), you could
install 64bit linux on it. Windows only allows 32bit OS on 32bit efi,
linux have no such limitation.

--
Fajar