[lxc-users] iptables (DNAT) woes

Chris Burroughs chris.burroughs at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 20:39:41 UTC 2015

I have an existing application that relies on some custom iptables logic
to function inside our network.  It uses several rules along the lines of:

iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT -j DNAT -p tcp --dst x.x.x.x --dport 7000 -o
eth0  --to-destination y.y.y.y

There are several nodes and there is a DNAT rule for each node.  I am
using centos6 privileged containers with macvlan.  iptables appears to
basically work.  For example, dropping all ICMP traffic or blocking a
specific port acts has expected.  However, DNAT rules like the above
only work [1] if containers that happen to be colocated on the same
physical host.

I could imagine ways that lxc + macvlan + iptables could result in some
source IP based edge cases, but I'm very confused what is happening with
destination based rules.

[1] Tested with telnet + nc to rule out anything application specific.