[lxc-users] "date: cannot set date: Operation not permitted" inside Lxc Container

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Tue Apr 7 03:57:52 UTC 2015

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 7:35 PM, 史佩昌 <shipeichang at kylinos.cn> wrote:
> I have encounted an problem during I tried to set my Lxc Container time
> manually using date command. I got this error "date: cannot set date:
> Operation not permitted". The host operating system is Ubuntu 1410 for
> X86_64.

IIRC that is by design. lxc.cap.drop prevents it, since there is
currently no such thing as time namespace.

> However in another container whose host operating system is Ubuntu 1404 for
> aarch64, Lxc Container time could be set successfully using date command.

They have different default container config. However that would mean
a container can freely change the date/time, which affects the host as
well as other containers on it. Bad thing.

--
Fajar