[lxc-users] Container cannot write to /var/run

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon Apr 6 17:04:02 UTC 2015

On Sat, 2015-04-04 at 17:31 -0400, CDR wrote:
> My Fedora 20 container, on a Ubuntu 14.04 server, cannot write
> to /var/run. Is there a secret reason that I use to fix it?

/var/run should be a symlink to /run.  That's been required for a number
of revs of Fedora.

> Other containers with non-systemd OSs can write just fine to /var/run.

Nothing to do with systemd.  Fedora decided, by policy, to
merge /usr/{bin,lib,lib64,sbin} with /{bin,lib,lib64,sbin}.  There is a
still lot of skew in packages that conform to the previous policy and
those that conform to the current policy.  Not having links
from /var/{run,locks} into / is known to break things on Fedora and
CentOS 7.  Not a systemd problem.

> Philip

Regards,
Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield (AI4NB) | (770) 978-7061 |  mhw at WittsEnd.com