[lxc-users] Networking LXC and VirtualBox on the same host

John lxc at jelmail.com
Sat Sep 20 12:08:40 UTC 2014

I have a test rig with LXC and VirtualBox guests on it. Host is
ArchLinux 64-bit.

All virtual machines and containers use the same bridged network config.

I've noticed that

  * the containers can talk to each other, the host and anything else on
    the network
  * the VB guests can talk to each other, the host and anything else on
    the network
  * the containers and the VB guests cannot talk to each other
  * the containers and the VB guests can ping each other

I've tried both UDP and TCP tests in both directions between containers
and VB guests. Nothing works.

I've done some basic testing I think data gets from source to
destination but the replies don't come back.

My bridge is configured like this

|Description="Bridge Network (Static Host)"
Connection=bridge
Interface=br0
BindsToInterfaces=enp6s0
IP=static
Address=10.0.200.1/8
Gateway=10.0.0.138
DNS=10.0.0.138
DNSDomain=example.co.uk
FwdDelay=0

And typical container config is like this:

lxc.network.type = veth
lxc.network.flags = up
lxc.network.link = br0
lxc.network.name = eth0
lxc.network.mtu = 1500

VB guests using the bridged adapter.

Can anyone suggest anything that I can check or do so I can get VBox
guests and containers talking to each other ?

Thanks.