[lxc-users] Comparison of used resources between LxC and UML

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Thu Sep 18 10:46:11 UTC 2014

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 5:30 PM, Marcel Sánchez Toledano
<marcelsanchezt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm need to make some kind of comparison between the resources (CPU,
> RAM,...) used when executing 1 LxC container and the resources used when
> executing 1 SIMCTL (VNUML utility, UML) Virtual Machine.
>
> And then, extend this comparison to a largest amount of containers and VMs.
>
> And ideas? Any way to do this in a realistic way?

I'll quote what Michael wrote in reply to your other thread:

"
... few of us would have any working knowledge of SIMCTL or VNUML.  I don't.
"

In lxc:
- to monitor container cpu usage for the container there should be
lxc-top, but it might or might not be compiled for your distro.
- to monitor memory usage, there's "lxc-cgroup -n CONTAINER_NAME
memory.usage_in_bytes"

I'm guessing that when running the same processes with the same
workload, a container should have lower cpu and memory usage compared
to UML, due to the fact that container does not run its own kernel.
How MUCH lower, however, is something you have to test yourself.

--
Fajar