[lxc-users] Routable host IPs for containers

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sun Sep 14 18:33:04 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-09-15 at 00:05 +1000, Mark Constable wrote:
> On 14/09/14 23:17, Michael Chinn wrote:
> > LXC Networking --> Simple Bridge

> Michael, thank you for the detailed reply. I tried this scenario but my
> gateway is via wlan0 (Wifi). I understand that wifi can't be part of a
> br0 bridge so how can I integrate my hosts gateway (192.168.0.1 via wlan0)
> so that other computers on my 192.168.0.0/24 LAN can "see" the containers
> on my laptop?

You are not going to be able to use a Simple Bridge setup with a WiFi
(wlan) connection.  It's prohibited by the underlying WiFi transport
itself and the kernel is going to refuse to allow you to add a wireless
interface to a bridge.

The underlying problem is that in "managed" mode, you are not allowed to
have multiple MAC addresses (required for simple bridging) on the WiFi
connection (it may work but it's technically a protocol violation).

There are ways around this but saying they are butt ugly is an
understatement.  For some WiFi cards, you can put them into a bridging
mode like what you would do for a WiFi extender or WiFi bridging device
where is acts sort of like a client and sort of like an AP.  That
literally means your laptop card starts acting like an extension to the
AP that it's associated with.  It also requires reconfiguration of the
AP to recognize your card as a peer.

Another option is to configure a subnet on your laptop, set up your down
dhcp for it, and configure the wlan0 interface for "proxy arp".  That
should work but is also (cough) non-trivial.

Regards,
Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield (AI4NB) | (770) 978-7061 |  mhw at WittsEnd.com