[lxc-users] IPv6 privacy setting from sysctl doesn't take effect

MegaBrutal megabrutal at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 18:12:45 UTC 2014

Hello,

After upgrading my host OS from Ubuntu 14.04 to 14.10*, the use_tempaddr
(IPv6 Privacy Extensions) setting in /etc/sysctl.d/10-ipv6-privacy.conf
within an LXC container doesn't take effect anymore. (The container still
has 14.04.)

Within the container, /etc/sysctl.d/10-ipv6-privacy.conf has these settings:
net.ipv6.conf.all.use_tempaddr = 2
net.ipv6.conf.default.use_tempaddr = 2

Before the release upgrade, it worked, so
/proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/eth0/use_tempaddr had the correct value right after
the container started. But now, it defaults to 0. I'm not sure of the
reason – probably it just inherits the host machine's setting, which is 0
by intention.

However, if I set "net.ipv6.conf.eth0.use_tempaddr = 2" (explicit setting
for eth0) in /etc/sysctl.d/10-ipv6-privacy.conf, it works correctly. But I
think the original setting (all and default) should be enough as well. What
caused this change from the previous behaviour, and why?

* Probably the LXC version is what really matters: Ubuntu 14.04 has 1.0.5,
while Ubuntu 14.10 has 1.1.0.alpha2.

~ MegaBrutal