[lxc-users] CPU considerations

Lars Hanke debian at lhanke.de
Fri Oct 24 18:24:41 UTC 2014

I'm going to migrate my OpenVZ based Core2 Quad SOHO server to a new
hardware and LXC. The current hardware has more than enough performance.
The new hardware shall be smaller and more energy efficient.

I'm currently pondering on i3-4130T and i5-4570S, but I fear the impact
of the substantially smaller caches of the Haswells as compared to
Core2. On the other hand cache misses may leverage the hyper-threading
of the i3, i.e. might shadow the performance of the 4 physical cores of
the i5.

As usual the only useful result is measuring, but I'm not going to buy a
dozen systems. Does anyone have experience how LXC with roughly a dozen
single service containers scales with CPU features?

Thanks for your experiences,
  - lars.