[lxc-users] how to install lxc on centOS5.7

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon Oct 20 16:35:27 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-10-20 at 16:51 +0800, lawvae wrote:
> Hi, all
>
>        I try to search this topic on Internet by google, but can’t
> find anything usefull, I wonder if anybody can give me some
> ideas,thx!‍

I'm not going to be very encouraging here...  In fact, I'm going to do
my best to discourage you from even attempting this.

*) CentOS 5.7 is several clicks out of date.  CentOS 5.11 is the latest
click in the CentOS 5 line.  If you are on rolling releases (which you
should be), you need to update, regardless of LXC.  A "yum update"
should do it.

*) Even with CentOS 5.11, the latest stock kernel is only 2.6.18, which
is just not going to cut it.  In addition, Python3 is not available on
CentOS 5 even from EPEL, rpmfusion or SCL (Software Collections).
Without Python3, you're going to loose some tools and other tools will
be limited to their legacy versions.

*) None of the system utilities in the CentOS 5 line are namespace or
cgroups aware.  You're going to have to roll your own cgroups mounts and
setups once you even have a kernel in there that supports namespaces and
cgroups.

*) In CentOS 6.5 you have a 2.6.32 kernel, which should be adequate, if
not full featured, and python33 is available in the scl extended
repository.  LXC 1.0.6 is also available in the EPEL repository.

*) In CentOS 7 you have a 3.10.0 kernel, which certainly supports LXC.
LXC 1.0.6 is also available the EPEL repository for CentOS 7 as well.

*) To get all this running under CentOS 5 (5.11 - 5.7 is off the table)
you would still need to backport the latest CentOS kernel, either 2.6.32
from CentOS 6 or 3.10.0 from CentOS 7 and optionally snatch python33
from the CentOS 6 SCL repository and rebuild it for CentOS 5 (IF it will
rebuild - I haven't done this and won't even try it).  I seriously
double you'll be able to rebuild the srpms for those backports without a
large number of support packages (init tools, mod-utils, etc, etc, etc).

*) By the time you're done with backports, you'll be a good fraction of
the road toward CentOS 6 only, instead, you'll have a highly customized,
unsupported, and unmaintainable host system.

*) If you want LXC on CentOS, the seriously shorter road is to upgrade
to at least CentOS 6 (preferably 7) and then try it.  At least you have
a shot.  LXC is available in EPEL for CentOS 6 and 7 and is current with
our 1.0 branch.  LXC will not be supportable on CentOS 5.

Save your self a lot of pain and aggravation and do not go down this
road.  CentOS 5 is just too old to support LXC as a host and the efforts
to make it do so will be orders of magnitude more difficult than setting
up a more current host.  The backports will not be maintainable or
supportable as well.

Regards,
Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield (AI4NB) | (770) 978-7061 |  mhw at WittsEnd.com