[lxc-users] LXC + tc

Nishant Agrawal nragrawal at cs.wisc.edu
Mon Nov 24 20:54:58 UTC 2014

I am having two containers configured with net_cls.classid as 0x10002
and 0x10003 respectively.

Now I want to assign different network rate limits to them.

I am trying to do this by performing below steps,

// Create qdisc,
$tc qdisc add dev eth0 root handle 1: htb default 30

// Add classes,
$tc class add dev eth0 parent 1:0 classid 1:2 htb rate 10mbit
$tc class add dev eth0 parent 1:0 classid 1:3 htb rate 100mbit

// Add filters
$tc filter add dev eth0 parent 1: protocol ip prio 20 basic classid 1:2
$tc filter add dev eth0 parent 1: protocol ip prio 20 basic classid 1:3

But the problem is that both the containers are limited to 100mbit,
which is the limit of the 2nd class.

I am not using iptables, do I need to use it to achieve the
functionality I am trying to do?

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Nishant