[lxc-users] unprivileged container with systemd?

Dirk Geschke dirk at lug-erding.de
Thu Nov 20 21:23:42 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I just to follow

   https://www.stgraber.org/2014/01/17/lxc-1-0-unprivileged-containers/

once more to install a new container and it fails. First of all it
was a problem with the access to the directory

   ~/.local/share/lxc/jessie1

The owner changed to a mapped one -> 100000 and then there was no
access for the lxcuser, which has uid 1001. I fixed this via setting
write access for the users group.

But then I installed a download template:

   lxc-create -t download -n jessie1 -- -d debian -r jessie -a amd64

which worked without problems (except warnings regarding reopen tty).

If I try to start the container it ends up with:

   ~$ lxc-start -n jessie1
   lxc_container: Permission denied - Unable to create /dev/.lxc for autodev
   Failed to mount cgroup at /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd: Operation not permitted

Here it ends, nothing more happens and only a kill -9 works...

And yes, /sbin/init in the container is now a link to systemd:

   /sbin/init -> /lib/systemd/systemd

I suspect, this does not work at all without cgroup namespace support
in the kernel? Or am I missing something else?

Best regards

Dirk