[lxc-users] packaging

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 18 20:03:42 UTC 2014

Quoting Tamas Papp (tompos at martos.bme.hu):
> Ouch, yes lxd.
>
> As far as I understand it's going to be very soon at least as stable
> as lxc is now, right?

lxd doesn't replace lxc, it uses the lxc go bindings.  It's taking the
'lxc api' we've had for a few years, and exporting it over a REST api,
plus adding a new (cleaned up) command line which is a client of the
REST api.  But yes I want to be able to use it myself asap so for the
very basic functionality I watn it to be stable asap :)

> And my understanding is that you spend your efforts on lxd, lxc will
> not improve much, is that correct?

I don't think that's correct.  I'm spending time getting the base lxd
functionality off the ground right now, but I intend to keep working
on lxc more than on lxd.  There's plenty to be done - which is needed
for lxd as much as for lxc - like getting systemd in containers and
getting lxc on systemd hosts all working seamlessly, etc.

Now, you say "lxc will not improve much" - I have my own list of things
I want to get done, but if there are things you feel need to be done
in lxc, perhaps we should be building a list, prioritizing it, and
coming up with a decisive list of things we consider crucial for 2.0.

-serge