[lxc-users] LXC bind Mount Permissioning

Nicholas J Ingrassellino nick at lifebloodnetworks.com
Sat Nov 15 18:27:05 UTC 2014

Howdy!

I am experimenting with ZFS and LXC.

As a test on my host I have two ZFS filesystems: //tank/lxc/ for
containers and //tank/lxc_postgresql/ for bind mounting in a container.
I have the container fstab working (//tank/lxc_postgresql
var/lib/postgresql none bind/) where //tank/lxc_postgresql/ on my host
is equivalent to //var/lib/postgresql// within the container.

The problem comes when I try to install PostgreSQL. It complains that,
during install, it can not change the permissions on
//var/lib/postgresql//. I have tried changing the permissions from the
host (to the same permissions the rest of the folders in //var/lib//
have) and from the container. I have tried bind mounting at
//media/postgresql// and creating a symlink to //var/lib/postgresql//
(not so much because I do not understand why it failed but because I was
running out of ideas). I am not sure how to get this working...

I ultimately want to do this with a number of containers (some should
have dedup, some should have a different block sizes, ect) but can not
even get it working with a single container. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!