[lxc-users] Unix Sockets communications between containers

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Wed Nov 12 03:29:02 UTC 2014

On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 9:27 AM, CDR <venefax at gmail.com> wrote:

> That is how we do business now, over TCP. By the way, I downloaded a new derivative of Mysql, http://paralleluniverse-inc.com/, and it seems, in my tests, several times faster than any other version, at least for this query
> select count(*) from table; where table has 550 million records. I have the exact same table on Mariadb and regular mysql, and it takes around 10 times longer to get the result, on the same vmware datastore. Do I have to think that this results are not real and I am perhaps doing something wrong? If anybody can test this free technology, I would be grateful. They claim to work in parallel.

Your question would be more appropriate on mysql list.

However here's some comments from me:
- select count(*) is NOT a suitable query for performance measurement.
Short version: some storage engines cheat, they don't exactly do the
count, only returns the estimate.
- if you read http://www.paralleluniverse-inc.com/parallel_universe_5.5-3.1_usage_guide.txt
, you'll see that only certain kinds of queries will benefit from
their tech, and even then you must explicitly set some variables
- for generic use on a single server, I currently use tokudb (on some
server) and mariadb with tokudb engine (on some others). I'm happy
with the results so far

--
Fajar