[lxc-users] LXD: error: open /etc/subuid: no such file or directory

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 11 18:23:58 UTC 2014

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 11:51:01PM +0530, Kunal Kushwaha wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying setup development environment for lxd.
> But I am facing issue of "error: open /etc/subuid: no such file or directory"
>
> $sudo ./lxd --tcp 127.0.0.1:8080
> error: open /etc/subuid: no such file or directory
>
> Please help to resolve this.
>
> Regards,
> Kunal Kushwaha

You need a system with unprivileged LXC support, which currently means a
3.12 or higher kernel and a recent enough version of shadow to get you
/etc/subuid and /etc/subgid as well as newuidmap and newgidmap.

You can read more about that requirement of lxd at:
 - https://github.com/lxc/lxd/issues/19
 - https://github.com/lxc/lxd/blob/master/specs/userns-idmap.md

--
Stéphane Graber