[lxc-users] LXD an "hypervisor" for containers (based on liblxc)

Guido Jäkel G.Jaekel at DNB.DE
Sat Nov 8 12:18:00 UTC 2014

On 04.11.2014 18:33, Stéphane Graber wrote:
> The main features and I'm sure I'll be forgetting some are:
>  - Image based workflow (no more locally built rootfs)

Dear Stéphane,

is there any plan to support an (aehm, my) infrastructure design, where (at least) all the container rootfs's (and the containers configuration files) are on shared filesystem (e.g. NFS) used by the LXC-hosts. In fact, all the container private an shared data space is on a shared filesystem resorce, too.

In this design approach, each of the LXC hosts may serve any container. It's something like a LXC host cluster, a virtual LXC host in terms of CPU cores and RAM. And moving containers between different hosts (by stop and start) will need zero time for copying any image or data partitions. I use this to spread clustered containers (e.g. MySQL Master/Slave) for production on independent hardware or quickly rearrange some sets on the test stage.

It will be great to have some master where one may controll the containers without actually have to know where the container is running for the most of commands -- except something related to a concrete provisioning of course -- and may e.g. list the overall status of all containers on all hosts.

greetings

Guido