[lxc-users] live migration - status?

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 4 23:17:56 UTC 2014

Quoting Ulli Horlacher (framstag at rus.uni-stuttgart.de):
> I am still running lxc-0.7.5 on Ubuntu 10.04, but I am on the way to move
> to lxc-1.0.6 on Ubuntu 14.04.
>
> What is the status of live migration of a LXC VM from one host to another
> (like with openVZ)?

Depending on your workload, it's there.  Using criu (thanks to the same
cool folks at openvz, and integrated into lxc by Tycho) simple workloads
can be checkpointed and restarted.  Migration also involves actually
coordinating the copy of data and statefiles between nodes, and we definately
want to get p.haul working nicely with lxc to minimize actual downtime.
But all that is coming.

> The last time I asked this question it was in 2011 and the answer was
> "will be soon available".

Depending on what your containers are doing that may well still be the
case, but at least it's working for limitated cases right now, using the
github.com/lxc master branch.