[lxc-users] LXC USB Device Passthrough

rob e redgerhoo at yahoo.com.au
Tue Nov 4 01:34:59 UTC 2014

hi,
I am trying to create an LXC container running mythtv (server) .. .which
needs access to USB tuners

There seems to be a dearth of information on how to pass USB devices
through to an LXC container

This post discusses the need to set cgroups appropriately
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/137931/usb-passthrough-for-lxc-containers

The host is Ubuntu 14.04 (Trusty) which is successfully running other
unprivileged LXC containers accessed via X2Go and direct to X11 (1 of
each type running "permanently" and working well). The base config has
(only) been changed to place container storage in a custom location
(dedicated LVM partition).

The container in question is (a) privileged (b) running Ubuntu Trusty
AMD64 (c) has cgroups set in the config file "lxc.cgroup.devices.allow =
c 189:* rwm" which seems appropriate given that the major / minor ids of
the USB devices in question are found using "ls -la /dev/bus/usb/003/"

Apparmor doesn't seem to be the primary issue (though I could be wrong)
I have tried setting "lxc.aa_profile = unconfined", which didn't seem to
help. I also created a custom Apparmor profile which just led to a
series of cgroup errors. I'm stumped and don't even know where to start
- Google searches turn up discussions of Libvirt based USB passthrough
and a patch for  LXC USB passthrough, but no instructions for
non-Libvirt situations

Could someone please advise how to go about this.

Thanks