[lxc-users] Question about Ubuntu Server

Robert Pendell shinji at elite-systems.org
Sun May 11 22:10:45 UTC 2014

On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 5:58 PM, CDR <venefax at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Friends
> I realize that this is not a list about Ubuntu, but here I have found
> more knowledge and help that in any other place.
> I am stuck since 48 hours ago in what takes 5 minutes in Fedora, i.e.,
> setting vncserver to crate a desktop for me while the server is
> headless, for it remains in text mode.
> I am using Ubuntu Server LTS 14.04.
> No mateer what I do, I always end up in a grey screen, but I cannot
> see any desktop, being
> gnome-session --session=gnome-fallback &
> gnome-session --session=gnome-classic &
> startxfce4 &
>
> I followed these instructions
> https://www.digitalocean.com/community/articles/how-to-setup-vnc-for-ubuntu-12
>
> but to no avail.
>
> Is this even possible in this version of Ubuntu?
> I like to use one or two graphic apps, live virt-manager and
> gnome-system-monitor. Vnc gives me good results in Fedora. I cannot
> see why the same setup cannot be replicated under Ubunto Server.
>
> Many thanks and again, I apologize for asking a question no directly
> related to the list.

Yea it isn't exactly on topic but I've been down that road with 12.04
and 14.04...

Your not gonna get a perfect setup and I actually tried xfce4 but to
no avail.  It loaded but many things were glitchy.

My goal before was a clean and lean setup (essentials only) so I ended
up installing tightvncserver and lxde instead.

apt-get install lxde --no-install-recommends
apt-get install tightvncserver

I also install autocutsel for clipboard sync over vnc.  This is my
xstartup file (drop it in .vnc folder)

#!/bin/sh

xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
#x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
#x-window-manager &
# Fix to make GNOME work
export XKL_XMODMAP_DISABLE=1
exec /usr/bin/autocutsel &
/etc/X11/Xsession

>From there I just start vncserver when I need a desktop to work on.  I
don't leave it running all the time and when it is up I have it
tunneled over ssh (since I'm usually in there when I need the
desktop).