[lxc-users] Help with Ubuntu Networking

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Sat May 10 07:20:14 UTC 2014

On Sat, May 10, 2014 at 12:13 PM, CDR <venefax at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Fajar
> Thanks for the link, and it has just proven to me that there is
> something broken in Ubuntu.
> This is contradictory
>  ifconfig br21
> br21      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr fe:32:4e:82:0d:be
>           BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
>           RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
>
> ifdown br21 --force
> ifup br21
> Ignoring unknown interface br21=br21. ############**************
>
> as you can see, the bridge does exist, brctl shows it. It seems to be up.
> That contradicts what happens when I turn it down and up again.
> At some point the state machine lost the inner consistency.

Is it perfect? No.
Can you configure it as-it-is to achieve what you want to do (in this
case, configure a bridge interface without IP and a real interface)?
Definitely.
Is there room for improvement? Sure. Contact the maintainer of
ifupdown package and submit patches.
Will the behaviour change by simply posting a message and saying "I
want it to behave like this"? Most likely no.
Do you HAVE to be completely satisifed with it? No.
Do you HAVE to use ubuntu? Definitely no. Use whatever you think is
best for your purpose.

--
Fajar